The iWand is a hand held acoustic transponder test and configuration device developed for use with Sonardyne’s 6G product range.
Being small, rugged and splash proof means the iWand is ideal for setting up equipment in the workshop, on the back deck of a ship, or on ROVs and subsea structures before they are deployed. The simple to use interface and sunlight readable display makes it easy to test, gather and download configurations.
Communication to a transponder is via the acoustic ‘Wand’ which is held against the transponders acoustic transducer. This tests the acoustic transmission and reception functions of the transponder ensuring they are operating correctly.
The iWand is used in conjunction with the 6G configuration software running on a standard PC. It enables all 6G (excluding WSM6, which can only be acoustically tested) transponders to be easily configured. The configuration of the various transponders can then be exported to a document as an audit trail, or to a file that can be imported into Sonardyne positioning system navigation software.
The iWand has various PC connection options; Bluetooth, USB or Serial. The USB is used to recharge the internal battery.
The internal GPS receiver provides UTC time tagging of communication to transponders and PC and can also be used to synchronise multiple transponders to UTC for logging applications.
- Handheld battery powered highly portable design
- Splash-proof and rugged
- Sunlight readable display
- Multi-band operation; LMF, MF and HMF
- Automatically discovers the acoustic address of the instrument
- Back deck testing of sensors, acoustic levels, release mechanism, battery pack capacity etc
- Simple to use software automatically synchronises when connected via Bluetooth, USB or Serial
- Automatic instrument configuration based on the Unique ID of the transponder ensuring only the correct configuration is downloaded
- Simple transponder configuration based on the application, water depth and baseline range
- GPS time synchronisation
- Serial test capability via standard interface test leads
- Configuration export to other Sonardyne systems
- Test report generated for audit trail
|LMF (14–19 kHz), MF (19–34 kHz), HMF (34–40 kHz)
|Transducer Beam shape (Wand)
|Dimensions (Length x Width x Depth)
|276 x 84 x 40 mm
|Rugged Polypropylene Copolymer Case with Styrenic Over Mould Shock Protection
|Sealed 5 key Navigation Pad
|320 x 240 Sunlight Readable LED Display
|Splash-Proof Mini-USB Type B IP6
|9-way D-Type (Male) IP67
|V2.1 + EDR Class 2 (+4 dBmi)
|USB to PC or USB to Wall Adaptor
|Internal Flash Memory
|Li-Polymer 3.7 V 1300 mAhr (typ)
|Active (Screen On)
|>5 Hours (Screen Automatically Turns Off After a Selectable Period)
|Active (Screen Off)
|12 Hours (Press a Key or ‘Shake to Wake’ to Turn Screen Back On)
|Sleep (Screen off)
|3 Months (Press a Key to Wake)
|1 Year (Requires USB Connection to Wake-Up)
|-10 to 55ºC Operating & Storage